|King of Kings Lutheran Church
1101 N. Wymore Road
Maitland, FL 32751
Sunday @ 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday @ 7:00 p.m.
Sunday @ 9:00 a.m. = Reformation
Wednesday @ 6:30 a.m. = Psalms
Wednesday @ 10:30 a.m. = John
This Week's Schedule
Flag Football Tournament @ Sarasota
KQ & ACTs play practice @ 10:00 a.m.
Reformation Event @ 2:00 p.m. @ Risen Savior LC, Orlando
Luther Play @ 9:15 a.m.
Worship Service @ 10:00 a.m.
Lunch & Luther Movie @ 11:30 a.m.
Breakfast for Your Heart @ 6:30 a.m. @ Perkins on 436
School Mission Service @ 8:05 a.m.
John Bible Class @ 10:30 a.m.
Worship Service @ 7:00 p.m.
Are you ready to celebrate like it’s 1517? Probably not, but 500 years ago a simple monk and professor of theology at the University of Wittenberg nailed 95 Theses (statements for debate, written in Latin) to the church bulletin board. Those statements for debate set off a firestorm which would become the Lutheran Reformation of the Church. We celebrate that anniversary in four ways this weekend.
- Saturday, October 28, there will be a special circuit/community event at our sister congregation, Risen Savior Lutheran Church, at 2 pm.
- Sunday, October 29, our Sunday school (King's Quest) and ACTs group will present a special Luther play during the Sunday school hour, 9 am. (The play will start around 9:15, but please be here by 9 am, in the church. Students should be here by 8:30to get ready.)
- Sunday, October 29, we will have a special Reformation 500 Anniversary service, 10 am.
- Finally, after the service, we will have a special “Lunch and Luther” event. Lunch will be provided and we’ll watch the 2003 Luther movie in the gym.
As for other activities…
- The upper grade play in the annual flag football tournament today.
- Saturday morning, KQ & ACTs participants will have a final practice (dress rehearsal) beginning at 10 am. It is important that everyone makes this practice. A pizza lunch is provided. Thank you!
- Next Sunday is our Quarterly Voters Meeting.
- November 12 is our next Sunday Funday / German potluck.
That’s enough for this week. Now here’s today’s devotion:
Boasting, Yes or No?
Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.
Boasting about ourselves is not a characteristic that other people like very well. Even if the claims we make about ourselves are true, people grow weary quickly when we brag about who we are or how much we have or what we have done.
This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 9:23-24)
What matters most is who we are before God. By ourselves we have nothing on which to base our boasts. Try as we may to live according to God’s holy will as he commands us in his law, we fail again and again. We fall short of the holiness that God requires of us to live with him.
Though we are undeserving, in his great kindness God gave us the holiness that we need. He did this through Jesus who took away the guilt of our sin by dying in our place, and credits our Savior’s perfect life to us. Since the holiness, the righteousness we need to live with God has come to us from God, we can't take the credit. “Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded.” We can’t boast about something we haven't done or about something that is given to us that we haven’t earned.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Galatians 6:14). Boasting about Jesus is good and praiseworthy! For through his cleansing blood God has washed me completely clean, and by faith alone in Jesus I am delivered from the power of death and saved from the condemnation of hell. About Jesus my Savior I am glad to boast.
Jesus, I am glad to boast about you and praise you for all you have done that I should be your own and live with God forever! Amen.