|King of Kings Connections - 22 May 2020
Dear Family in Christ,
Did you celebrate on Thursday? Not just because you might have gone out and finally gotten that haircut you've had to put off the last couple months. Not just because stores and restaurants are starting to open. Not just because hand sanitizer and toilet paper are starting to show up on store shelves again. Not just because we have a plan in place to start reopening in-person worship once again at King of Kings. Not even if you had a birthday or anniversary to remember.
Those are all great reasons to celebrate, but what made Thursday a special day to celebrate? Thursday was the 40th day after Easter, when God's people have traditionally celebrated the Festival of the Ascension of Our Lord. If Easter is Christ's Victory Day, Ascension is Christ's Coronation Day. On Ascension, we celebrate when the risen Jesus visibly ascended into heaven, returning as the King of kings and Lord of lords; when he ascended into heaven to receive power, wealth, wisdom, strength, honor, glory, and praise as the victorious Lord and Savior who now rules and guides all things for our eternal good.
So did you celebrate? Perhaps not. With life slowly starting to return after two months of shutdown, our minds are elsewhere. We're all trying to figure out what life as we know it is going to look like not just this week, but in the weeks and months to come--and it's not the normal we knew before the shutdown.
Yet in a time of COVID, Ascension is a festival worth celebrating. Christ was victorious over death and the devil on Easter Sunday. That same Christ is now the all-knowing, all-present, all-powerful, always gracious King of kings, who keeps in mind everything that is going on in the life of each believer. He knows what's going on in your life and mine. He knows how not normal life is right now for us and everyone around us. Yet he also guides all things for our eternal good. He turns darkness into light, sorrow into gladness, and difficulty into blessing. Then, to top it all off, he prepares a place in heaven for us--a home, literally a mansion, where we will get to spend eternity basking in the light of his no-strings-attached love and his Easter victory for us--and someday he will return to bring us home to be with him in heaven.
So celebrate, Friends! Our Jesus is victorious! Our Jesus is in control! Our Jesus will bring us safely home someday! Let's sing a hymn of glory and let our alleluias ring to the eternal praise of our King of kings!
Preparing for Worship This Weekend
Helpful Links for Your Sunday, May 24
- Join us on Facebook Live @ Facebook.com/VisitKoK for Sunday worship @ 10 am ET! We also post a recording of the service on Facebook and usually on our YouTube channel. This week we conclude our Easter worship series with the celebration of Christ's ascension into heaven and the glorious hope we have in our risen Savior. Check out Ephesians 1:15-23 to get yourself ready for worship this week!
- Digital Worship Folder for the 7th Sunday of Easter: Ascension (Click the link for a PDF of Sunday's worship folder)
- Online Worship Connection Card - Be sure to fill this out for all "attending" with you!
- Donate Online to support the Lord's ongoing work @ King of Kings. You can also mail an offering to King of Kings Lutheran Church, 1101 N. Wymore Rd. Maitland, FL 32751.
- Show Us Your "Church" - How have you and our family been gathering for online worship during the shutdown? Reply to this email with a picture of how you and yours are gathering for online "Church" on Sunday! You can also send your picture here.
- Teacherage Work Day: We're planning to have our first workday over at the teacherage @ 316 Monticello Dr. in Altamonte Springs this Saturday, May 23 @ 8 am. We are planning to have other work days throughout the summer. If you would like to help, please contact Kevin Zastrow, who is coordinating our work on the teacherage. We hope you can help as we prepare the home for the arrival of the Krauses!
- In-Person Worship Begins May 30-31 – On Wednesday, we sent out an announcement with our plan for reopening in-person worship at King of Kings. Here is a link to that email. If you have not done so already, we encourage you to read through our plan at the link below as you look ahead to attending in-person worship once again.
Initial Plan for Reopening Worship @ King of Kings
- Teacherage Assistance: Work has begun on our teacherage in preparation for the arrival of the Krause family this summer. Financial assistance is needed to help us cover the cost of improvements and work on the house and property. If you would like to assist us financially, please contact Kevin Zastrow!
- School Survey - Our incoming principal—Harmon Krause—has asked that all members and leaders of our congregation and the families of our school and preschool complete the brief survey at this link. Please complete the survey by Monday, June 1.
Please Keep in Your Prayers
- Our Teachers - Those departing and those arriving this summer
- Graduates from Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary - Assigned this week to serve in the congregations of our church body across North America
- Ralph S. - Father of Suzi K. - In home hospice due to terminal non-COVID lung issues
- All Affected by the Pandemic - That the Lord provide wisdom to those who are governing, recovery for those infected, peace to those who are fearful, and comfort for those who have suffered loss
Below you will find a number of devotional and worship resources to help you grow as God's chosen people.
Private Communion Available for Kings of Kings Members
- Justified by Faith Alone: A Study of Romans 1-8: This online Bible study series meets via Google Meet and continues this Wednesday @ 7 pm. To participate in the class, contact Phil Warnecke!
- YouTube: Be sure to check out our YouTube channel! Besides posting the weekly worship services, we are also posting video devotions and updates. Be sure to subscribe!
- Messages from the King - Produced by King of Kings
Stuck at home? Still commuting or driving where you need to go? Looking for a way to grow in faith and even listen again to what you may or may not have heard on Sunday? Have you subscribed to our Messages from the King podcast?
Each week we post the latest sermons preached at King of Kings. They are available at all major audio platforms: iTunes, iHeart Radio, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Pandora, Stitcher, and TuneIn (which includes Alexa - Just say "Alexa, Play Messages from the King"). Go to your favorite audio platform and subscribe to "Messages from the King" to receive a weekly dose of good news from the King of Kings!
Members of Kings of Kings, WELS, or the ELS are encouraged to take advantage of receiving private communion. This is conducted in a safe and sanitary manner in the sanctuary with a brief devotion and the Sacrament. Please contact Pastor Gumm by email or call 407-628-5696 to set up an appointment to receive the Lord's Supper.
May our Ascended Lord fill you with his glorious hope!
Celebrating Christ's Coronation,