|King of Kings Connections - 7 May 2020
Dear Family in Christ,
I pray this finds you resting in the care of the Good Shepherd. On Tuesday evening, our Church Council met remotely to discuss and finalize plans for a process to safely and carefully reopen in-person worship at King of Kings. That plan was discussed and approved. On Wednesday, we were informed that Orange County recently issued an executive order re: reopening businesses in Orange County. Unlike previous orders, this order has specific instructions for churches. At this time, in-person, indoor worship, while still considered essential, is now restricted to 10 persons or less. (The county had not made that restriction in the past, rather deferring to the state for guidance.) With that said, we hope that this new limitation will not last long. However, until that restriction is lifted, we will continue to offer live, online-only worship on Sundays @ 10 am ET. When the restriction is lifted, we will be sure to notify you right away with our plans for the roll-out process of re-opening worship.
This restrictions also means that we have decided to delay our Youth Confirmation that was planned for Sunday, May 17. We are looking at June 7 or June 14 as possible dates, but that remains tentative until we see how things shake out in the coming weeks.
Admittedly, this is rather frustrating, especially since we were hoping to start the process of reopening in-person worship for our King of Kings family. Nevertheless, our Lord knows best and will bring us to that time when we will be able to gather once again. In the meantime, find some encouragement in these words form the Lord once shared with his people through the prophet Habakkuk, "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior." (3:17-18)
No matter what seems to be going on in our lives, even if it seems like life itself is crumbling around you, you can still rejoice. Why? The Lord of free and faithful no-strings-attached love has come to save you. He is there for you, holding you up, keeping you in his care, and watching over you always. Someday he'll bring you home to be with him in heaven. Yes, we're frustrated for the moment, but we can always rejoice in Christ, our living and loving Savior!
Preparing for Worship This Weekend
Did you know that our focus for this coming Sunday is on the identity we have in Christ, our living Savior? Check out 1 Peter 2:4-10 and join us on Facebook Live @ Facebook.com/VisitKoK for Sunday worship @ 10 am ET! We also post a recording of the service on both Facebook and our YouTube channel.
Helpful Links for Your Sunday, May 10
Please Keep in Your Prayers
- Digital Worship Folder for the 5th Sunday of Easter (Click the link for a PDF of Sunday's worship folder)
- Online Worship Connection Card - Be sure to fill this out for all "attending" with you!
- Donate Online to support the Lord's ongoing work @ King of Kings. You can also mail an offering to King of Kings Lutheran Church, 1101 N. Wymore Rd. Maitland, FL 32751.
- Show Us Your "Church" - Your King of Kings family members have been letting me know how they are gathering for our online worship services. Though we are scattered, we are "living stones" in Christ's Church. Reply to this email with a picture of how you and yours are gathering for online "Church" on Sunday! You can also send your picture here.
Growing in Christ
- Sandee S. - Undergoing a procedure to get a pacemaker this week.
- Pr. Chuck Westra and the WELS Assignment Committee - Assigning teacher graduates to our school and the schools of the synod this week. Currently we are awaiting the assignment of teachers to serve Grades K-2 and 3-5, while also participating in our music ministry.
- Our Students, Teachers, and Parents - Concluding distance learning for the 2019-20 school year this week.
- Ralph S. - Father of Suzi K. - In home hospice due to terminal non-COVID lung issues
- All Affected by the Pandemic - That the Lord would provide wisdom to those who are governing, recovery for those infected, peace to those who are fearful, and comfort for those who have lost loved ones or livelihoods
Below you will find a number of resources to help you grow as God's chosen people.
- Children's Devotions - Produced by King of Kings
Check out the following children's devotions produced for our students and their families!
Private Communion Available for Kings of Kings Members
- Justified by Faith Alone: A Study of Romans 1-8: This new Zoom Bible study series will begin this Wednesday, May 6 @ 7 pm. Go to the following link to sign up for the Bible study: https://forms.gle/BUFcYpQg8NsmYtTi9. You can also contact Phil Warnecke to join the class!
- Family Devotions - Produced by WELS
WELS Commission on Discipleship has started offering devotions developed for the entire family to use. The devotions will coincide with the previous Sunday’s Bible readings and are offered 3x a week. Each devotion is complete with a set of questions for different age groups, a prayer, and hymn verses that can be sung or spoken. Downloadable printable versions are available as well. For more information or to subscribe, please visit this article about the new family devotions.
- YouTube: Be sure to check out our YouTube channel! Besides posting the weekly worship services, we are also posting video devotions and updates. Be sure to subscribe!
- Messages from the King - Produced by King of Kings
Stuck at home? Still commuting or driving where you need to go? Looking for a way to grow in faith and even listen again to what you may or may not have heard on Sunday? Have you subscribed to our Messages from the King podcast?
Each week we post the latest sermons preached at King of Kings. They are available at all major audio platforms: iTunes, iHeart Radio, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Pandora, Stitcher, and TuneIn (which includes Alexa - Just say "Alexa, Play Messages from the King"). Go to your favorite audio platform and subscribe to "Messages from the King" to receive a weekly dose of good news from the King of Kings!
Members of Kings of Kings, WELS, or the ELS are encouraged to take advantage of receiving private communion. This is conducted in a safe and sanitary manner in the sanctuary with a brief devotion and the Sacrament. Please contact Pastor Gumm by email or call 407-628-5696 to set up an appointment to receive the Lord's Supper.
May our God fill you with the victorious hope that finds its identity in Christ our living Savior!
Called Out of Darkness by Christ,